Friday, October 29, 2010

Review - Glimpse (Verse Novel) by Carol Lynch Williams



Book Summary from Amazon

Lizzie and Hope learned long ago that they had to watch out for one another. Their neglectful mother, who turns tricks for a living, has left the girls to fend for themselves for nearly as long as they can remember. Yet when Hope walks in on Lizzie and finds her holding a gun, everything changes. After Lizzie is sent to a psych ward, her sister is left to wonder when and why things got so bad. Though Lizzie's terrible secret will be quickly evident to readers, Hope's painful, yet poignant, self-realizations unfold more slowly.

My Review - 3 1/2 More Sugar Please

Novel verses have became one of my simple pleasures.  I enjoyed this story and would recommend it to those that are YA fans.

Lisa Schroeder by far is the most amazing Verse Novel Author in my mind, her writing and style gripped you and didn't let go, so for me all Verse Novels have to compete with her and none have so far.  So if you want to try you have to pick up one of hers.

This was a good story.  A mom that needs mental help but doesn't realise she does.  It is a very sad story to see unfold.  The younger sister is so sweet but naive, as she should be though.  The love between these sisters is an emotional sisterly love, I enjoyed that.  The story doesn't go into details but you are still disgusted.

YA is just never enough for me so it is hard to review.  Here are a few snippets....

On Kindle at 24%

When things get touch...
When things get touch...
When life is rough...
When life is rough...
The Chapman girls...
The Chapman girls...
Will take only enough...
Will take only enough.

On Kindle at 87%

and any of those things -
the watcher,
the snake,
or the killer alligator -
would have been better
than what I found out
today.


Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

3 comments:

  1. O wow. Sounds sad but good. I want to try some more verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on most YA books ... they often don't seem to go deep enough, even though they are enjoyable reads! Thanks for the review!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only verse novels I've really read are ellen hopkins and I loved them... this doesn't sound quite as remarkable, but I will definitely look into Schroeder now that you mention her

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.