Monday, March 8, 2010

Review - Push by Sapphire


Book Summary

Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

Precious is now a major motion picture based on the novel Push by Sapphire

My Review

I found this book to be very touching, I can't wait to watch the movie even though I think the movie will have me in tears.

I thought the book being in accent and illiterate writing was going to be distracting but it added to the trueness and reality of the story. The writing was so bad at the beginning and then seeing the improvement slowly but truly was amazing. At the end of the book they share the class book project with all the girls stories. It is truly unbelievable what is the real life for some children and how they are affected and how there are beautiful inspirational people to assist them to get through it.

Even though this book is about something so tragic I fell in love with Precious and the teacher, Ms. Rain. These characters made me feel good and want to know the outcome. I would love to see a sequel 5 or 10 years later.

If you are able to read difficult situations I think this is a must read.

I am intrigued by the writing style and how you are able to even edit that kind of writing. I really thought I wouldn't enjoy it at all but I don't think I would have been touched by it as much without it.

I give it 3 1/2 More Sugar Please

I read this one for my Book Bloggers Recommendation Challenge

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce

8 comments:

  1. We just watched this movie last night and some scenes were very difficult to get through. Excellent movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book will have you in tears - make sure you have tissues handy when you watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book , but saw the film. Very powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new book to me. I have not heard of it nor the title before but loved your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very emotional book. I haven't decided whether I'll read it yet, but despite the heavy themes, it sounds really good.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to send this book back to the library when I first received it. But I'm hoping to take it again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound like a wonderful book. My daughter and I were talking about going to see the movie, but I was afraid she'd find it too disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see the movie and make a comparison.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.