Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Review - The Wrong Mother


It began with an affair. And ended in death.

Sally Thorning is watching the news with her husband when she hears an unexpected name-Mark Bretherick. It's a name she shouldn't know, but last year Sally treated herself to a secret vacation-away from her hectic family life-and met a man. After their brief affair, the two planned to never meet again. But now, Mark's wife and daughter are dead-and the safety of Sally's own family is in doubt.

I will start by saying I think all first time Mothers, especially Working moms should read this. The overall mothering thoughts, good and bad were dynamite in a psychologically frightening way. Also the appreciation and love husbands show differently, I truly enjoyed. It will make you question what you take notice of or if your spouse will notice anything different when giving hints etc. That is the summary of what I enjoyed about the book. It was a great try but just not executed well, lots of twists but for me just not a believable story.

The story overall to me was not believable, the police work not believable and the main victim, Sally, not believable especially in her reaction to a few things and the ending, WTF, whatever I thought. Way too many characters and unnecessary to switch from real name to nickname, it was just an additional distraction to keep track of in the book that didn’t add to the story. Also with that many police officers why would female characters have male names, eg Charlie, just a dumb choice in my opinion. Background relationships that was unnecessary also. The book was 400 pages, could have been so much better with only 300.

The intro was brilliant but Sophia Hannah couldn’t keep that expectation through to the end for me. I was disappointed as it was my first read by this author but I will try another one by her before giving up. I had a ‘moment’ thought of rereading right away but I just couldn’t do it to myself. I am glad I read it but I simply can’t say go out and buy, borrow it. Unfortunately I will not recommend this one, you will have to make the decision yourself. Actually if you want it, be the first to comment and say “I want your copy” and I’ll send it to you. I have seen others give it 5 stars :-0 .
I give it 2 1/2 stars

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I want your copy (if you still have it). Been dying to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I was too excited to see that you were giving it away that I didn't leave my e-mail address: stephaniet117@yahoo.com Thanks so much if I get the book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I had high hopes for this one, so I'm disappointed to see you only gave it 2 1/2 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tired reading Little Face by her and I was too disturbed being a new mom that I couldn't go on.
    I'd probably feel the same about this one. Thanks for the honest review.
    :)
    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph you got it :-) I will email you now for contact info.

    I do think others will enjoy it, for me it just had to much going on that did not make sense, overall execution was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting! Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Appreciate your honest review! I may borrow this from the library instead of buying it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.