Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Review - The Widow's Season by Laura Brodie (Kindle)


Summary - When Sarah turns the corner at the supermarket one afternoon and spots her husband David down the aisle, only she makes a big deal of it. The rest of the shoppers don't seem to notice or realize that Sarah's husband has been dead for three months.

This David-sighting begins a chain of events that turn Sarah's life from that of a quiet, mourning widower into a sought-after, fought-over, woman of mystery. As her dead husband resurfaces more frequently with an explanation that seems quite plausible, Sarah accidentally falls into a romantic relationship with his younger brother Nate. It is when these two worlds collide that Sarah is faced with her true choice - let her identity wash away with her past, or embrace her uncertain future alone.

My Review - The Widow’s Season made me feel like I was under a spell, it was a warm beautiful story. The quiet mixture of the writing had a special feel to it, a little suspense, aura of mystery, romance, immoral conduct that plays with emotions and also twists and turns of real life. I thought the author Laura Brodie did a great job to make the characters feel real.

Sara is the Widow or is she? Laura Brodie used the changing of the seasons along with Sara’s emotions and stages of her grief, it was the perfect choice of style/symbolism. The mystery/suspense comes from your own mind games, is Sara grieving, is she crazy, is David a ghost or is he beginning a new life and trying to capture Sara to disappear with him. You continue reading because you just can’t wait to understand and see how it unfolds.

Also Sara and Nate, the brother in law supported each other with the grief. This story line will raise a few eyebrows. Don’t want to say more and include spoilers.

Also any moms that have had miscarriages will totally embrace the additional grief and emotions Sara dealt with.

The overall story was very dreamlike. I totally felt like I had just had a massage and my body and mind just said ahhhhhhh. One thing I love about any book is when the ending flows with the story, this had the perfect wrap up.

This is a perfect read for a Book Club.

I give it 4 stars.

8 comments:

  1. We have such similar reading tastes! This book sounds wonderful and I'm off to add it to my wish list! Thanks for your wonderful review! I love books that make me feel good after reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you loved this book as much as I did. I agree that the writing is quiet...quiet and beautiful.

    If you're interested, I interviewed the author here.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your review I have to read this. Even the cover has a quiet feel to it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, you was the first blogger that I thought, WOW, similar taste. I totally look forward to your reviews so I can add to my TBR list :-) So you are truly appreciated by me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, nice interview, I loved when you asked this and her response.

    What do you want readers to take from the book?

    I’d like for readers to enjoy the book as a lyrical, haunting page-turner. But beyond sheer pleasure, I’d want them to take away a sense of the struggles that people go through to resurrect their lives after a crushing loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marce! :) I also look forward to your reviews! It's funny how so many books are just waiting to be discovered!! I find new books every day just reading through blogs! It's an awesome thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad this book was good. I found out about it through your blog the other day when you were deciding on a book for your Kindle. I really want to read this one now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.