Friday, December 4, 2009

Review - The Pact, Jodi Picoult


The Summary..........

The Pact by Jodi Picoult is a heart wrenching story of love and betrayal that will leave readers questioning what they thought they knew of their own morals long after they have returned the book to the shelf. Chris and Emily grow up together, destined to be lovers before they are even old enough to talk. They are closer than siblings, able to feel each other's pain in a way no one else can possibly understand. One night, all of that changes, however, when their parents get the phone call all parents dread. One child is dead. The other is charged with her murder. Two sets of parents will question their own roles in this tragedy, wondering how they could not see it coming, how they could allow it to happen. Everyone will want to point.....


How did I feel about this book, hmmmmm

First off this was not a Love Story to me, omg, in the hospital room when Emily is born they put Chris right next to her, he was 3 months old. They were so close from birth, they were each others world, it was truly beautiful to everyone except Emily. So maybe I'll consider it to be everyone's "Love Story" in their mind but definitely not Chris and Emily's.

I had a hard time continuing this book but was intrigued I just had to find out what really happened, The Truth. Because I enjoyed the characters I think that is what helped me to finish it but the ending was TERRIBLE. First it took me 2 long weeks to slowly get through this book only to read the ending and it sucked. Can you say Disappointed....

I did enjoy the style of the book being in III parts - The Boy Next Door, The Girl Next Door and then The Truth. Also the story continued with the back and fourth style, Now and Then, I didn't love this part of the book but I think many will enjoy it.

If you love Jodi Picoult you will enjoy this, she makes you think about your own morals and how you would deal with a situation etc. There is so much I could say but I feel like the small parts of interest should come from your own reading.

This book just didn't do it for me and I really wanted it to. So unfortunately, I cannot recommend it but at the same time I wouldn't put it in don't waste your time category, some would love it i'm sure.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, Marce. I have this book, along with many other Picoult's books, in my TBR pile. I read 19 minutes last year and really liked it. Hopefully I will get to THE PACT someday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard nothing but good things about this author. I think I will have to check into some of her books. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of my favorite books the whole time I was in high school. Maybe it was just when I read it, but it blew me away.

    I read an interview with the author, though, where she said that she made the ending what she did because she didn't think that she should add one more sad thing to the list of sad things that had already happened.... This annoyed me because it showed that the end didn't even ring true to the author, you know?

    -Jacki
    www.lovelylittleshelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pact is a heartfelt novel about two teenagers whose families were best friends from pregnancy to graduation; although, Emily did not make it that far. I would recommend The Pact to anyone who likes romance and suspense. This book made me happy, sad, excited, angry, bitter, and kept me on edge. Though it is a very deep and complex book I would recommend it to any teenage girl. The story talks about many struggles young teens have to deal with and go through.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Tea Time with Marce, I appreciate your comments. I have decided to make this an Award Free Zone, thank you for thinking of me but I prefer comments and do my best to be a good networking blogging friend also.

If you are a new follower, please tell me so I can come visit also.